For the love of knights, wizards, and medieval, fantastical adventures, don’t miss out on LARP Day at the Fayetteville Public Library.
The Medieval/Fantasy LARP Day, much like Maker Faire NWA, features amazing exhibits, workshops, and performances. Be aware that some events require registration. It is slated for all day Saturday, Sept. 2.
LARP, or Live Action Role Playing, is a form of interactive storytelling where participants create and play characters in a fictional setting. LARPing can be a great way to express creativity, meet new friends, and immerse yourself in a fantasy world. The event is free and open to the public. It is organized by Amtgard from Kingdom of the Emerald Hills, a live-action roleplay group.
Whether you are new to LARPing or a seasoned veteran, you will find something to enjoy and learn at Fantasy LARP Day.
Here are some of the highlights of the event:
- Woven Paracord Bracelets: Learn how to weave paracord bracelets with medieval/fantasy live-action roleplayers Esquire Amser Starseer. Paracord bracelets are not only stylish accessories but also useful survival tools that can be unraveled in case of emergency. This workshop will take place 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Schmieding Foundation Teen Project Room.
- Boffer Safety & You: Learn about safety and construction of boffer foam weapons. Boffer weapons are padded weapons made from foam and PVC pipes that are used for combat simulation in LARPing. They are designed to be safe and fun to use, but they still require proper handling and care. This hands-on workshop will be led by medieval/fantasy live-action roleplayer Baronet Drakel Pazitorin. This workshop will take place at the Center for Innovation Fab Lab from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Photobooth: Drop by the Center for Innovation Photo Studio and have your picture taken with medieval and fantasy live-action roleplay accessories. The photobooth will be open from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Don’t forget to share your photos on social media with the hashtag #MakerFaireNWA!
- Costume Tips & Tricks: Join medieval/fantasy live-action roleplayer Tiarne Shrooms Myceliain for a lecture on the difference between historical and fantasy outfits and how they differ between LARP groups. This lecture will take place 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. in the Art & Movement.
- Peg Weaving: Join medieval/fantasy live-action roleplayer Tiarne Shrooms Myceliain and learn peg weaving and watch a demo on transforming raw fiber into a weaving. Peg weaving is an ancient technique of making narrow strips of fabric by wrapping yarn around wooden pegs. You can use peg weaving to make belts, straps, bands, or decorations for your costume or gear. This workshop will take place 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Art & Movement Room.
- Basics of Lettering & Calligraphy: Learn the basics of lettering and calligraphy with medieval/fantasy live-action roleplayer Lady Aislinn MacAodha. Lettering and calligraphy are the art of creating beautiful and expressive letters by hand. You can use lettering and calligraphy to make signs, banners, invitations, scrolls, or journals for your LARP character or group. This workshop will take place 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Schmieding Foundation Teen Project Room.
- Foam Dagger Making: Learn how to create foam daggers with medieval/fantasy live-action roleplayer Drakel Pazitor in this hands-on workshop. Foam daggers are small boffer weapons that are easy to make and use. They can be used as backup weapons, throwing weapons, or stealth weapons in LARPing. This workshop will take place 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Center for Innovation Fab Lab.
- Medieval/Fantasy Cookie Decorating: Learn how to decorate cookies with medieval/fantasy live-action roleplayer Dyth the Nightblade. Cookie decorating is a fun and delicious way to express your creativity and show your love for medieval and fantasy themes. This workshop will take place 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the South Deli seating.
We hope to see you at the Fayetteville Public Library with you LARP Day creations or a curious and creative mind! In the meantime, enjoy these photos from last year’s LARP Day!